What is STEAM?
Not to be confused with the water vapor variety, STEAM is a newly defined approach to teaching and the learning process. In making connections across:
Teaching STEAM presents a hands-on approach to problem-solving, collaboration, critical thinking, and experimentation. What if there was a single tool that kids were excited about that helped teach science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics? Well, there is. That tool is an AP laser machine.
With the ability to cut or engrave nearly any material, laser machines are truly the greatest STEAM tool on the market. But don’t take just our word for it. In an article for MakeZine.com, California high school math teacher and “Maker Educator” Casey Shea wrote, “If money were no object, the laser cutter would be my No. 1 tool, as it is perhaps the most versatile tool that I have ever used.”
Accelerate Learning with Lasers
Getting students excited about Science has proven to be a battle for primary, secondary, and even post-secondary education teachers and administrators. One way to get kids’ attention is to say the word “laser.” Yes, that is right! Just say the word “laser” and you will not only get kids’ attention but keep it. Laser cutting and engraving machines can help educators excite students when teaching STEAM.
- The physics of the laser tube alone is visually amazing as children can see how the compressed CO2 gas in a glass tube is excited by electrical current, refracted, and focused which creates the laser beam.
- There are many lessons that can be taught on the physical elements of lasers– light physics, electrical current, refracting light, focal lens, and power.
- Another important area of laser technology is digital design. Students can learn how to design things quickly and easily using software to accommodate any student level of interest, from beginner to advanced curriculum.
The AP Lazer machine is designed to accommodate popular design software such as Adobe Photoshop and CorelDRAW to create digital images and text. When it comes to teaching STEAM this creative side of design in the software lets the student’s imagination go wild and can be a great way to engage ambivalent students.
Cutting a simple 3D letter with the AP Lazer takes seconds, 3D printing takes hours to produce the same object. “This feature makes it possible for an entire class to complete their small projects within one class period. This just cannot be done with one 3D printer.”
Safe for Any Classroom
All AP Lazer models have easily accessible cutoff switches and stop buttons to prevent the laser from firing unless conditions are safe. On-site training is provided as well as video training and 24/7 customer support.
In Results: The Key to Continuous School Improvement, Michael Schmoker writes: “people work more effectively, efficiently, and persistently . . . while gauging their efforts against results.” Results are easily measured when they are tangible, the likes of which AP Lazer helps them to create. AP Lazer makes this process very easy for teachers and very real for students.
AP Lazer is in the Business of Creating Opportunities
We supply laser machines for education to many high schools, community colleges, and universities. The AP Lazer machine covers subjects such as science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics.
It helps students learn about:
- light physics
- electrical currents
- power supplies
- mirrors in science class
- machine software and electronic controls in computer class
- arrays and how to calculate surface area in math class and digital design in art class
- and more!
This single tool provides an abundance of learning outlets in a way that students find fascinating.
Alright, I’m convinced! How can I get a laser machine?
- Whether you’re looking to add a laser machine to start teaching STEAM, or want to start a community makerspace, the first step of purchasing a laser machine is choosing the right one. You can easily compare using this handy matrix.
- Choose you model and fill out the contact form, be sure to include any questions you have about the machine. Contact Us – AP Lazer
- Enjoy the endless possibilities of owning AP Lazer. You can even incorporate a laser cutter into your fundraising projects! School fundraising will not only quickly raise money for a good cause, but it also teaches students useful skills such as confidence, leadership skills, teamwork, goal setting, and community building.5 Ways a Laser Cutter Will Revolutionize the School Fundraising Game – AP Lazer
Why choose an AP Lazer machine?
AP Lazer machines offer exceptional performance, stability, and efficiency that you won’t find elsewhere. We provide premium technical support and a complete turnkey pricing package. Look here to see what other features make the AP Lazer difference.
Between on-site training, free continuous online tutorials, online engaging communities, AP Lazer University, the best warranty in the industry and 24/7/365 phone tech support, AP Lazer is here to provide you with solutions.
Are you ready to add a Laser to the classroom? Check out our business guide and see how you can get started!
Oh, and did we mention, educators get a 10% discount with AP Lazer?
So what are you waiting for?!
Contact us today to find out how you can get your hands on an AP Lazer machine.
Additional Links and Resources:
STEM to STEAM
Engaging Students in the STEM Classroom Through “Making”
Pivot Point: At the Crossroads of STEM, STEAM and Arts Integration
STEAM Funding Endorsed BY NEA
STEAM Ahead: Merging Arts and Science Education
Gaining STEAM: Teaching Science Through Art